Laminate Transitions

Old 01-01-09, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Laminate Transitions

I'm getting ready to install laminate in about 800 Sq Ft in the 1st floor of my condo. There are two areas I have questions about. One is where the stairs are coming down to the 1st floor. What kind of transition piece should I use there?

Second, where basement stairs come up to the 1st floor. I know I should use a bullnose transition piece there, but where to I take the laminate to? The very edge? Or is a gap left from the front of the last riser? I'm going to run into an issue because there is a 1/2" board running the length of the basement stairs on each side that that may affect how the bullnose fits. I also thought about creating a false step at the very top (just by cutting the carpet in the same size as a tread), then taking the laminate to that area, and finishing with simple transition pieces. Then I figure that method would create what my Dad likes to call "a tripping stone" and probably not safe for the top of stairs. What do you guys think I should do?

I've attached pictures to show more clearly what I'm talking about. The baseboard in the pictures is coming off as well. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-09, 10:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The bottom of the stairs you can use qtr round. The top of the stairs you have a coulpe of different options you can use a standard 4 in 1 molding that is available from most laminate companies or you can order a stairnose from the laminate manufacturer...
Philly