Laminate Transitions

Old 01-01-09, 10:26 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Laminate Transitions

I'm getting ready to install laminate in about 800 Sq Ft in the 1st floor of my condo. There are two areas I have questions about. One is where the stairs are coming down to the 1st floor. What kind of transition piece should I use there?

Second, where basement stairs come up to the 1st floor. I know I should use a bullnose transition piece there, but where to I take the laminate to? The very edge? Or is a gap left from the front of the last riser? I'm going to run into an issue because there is a 1/2" board running the length of the basement stairs on each side that that may affect how the bullnose fits. I also thought about creating a false step at the very top (just by cutting the carpet in the same size as a tread), then taking the laminate to that area, and finishing with simple transition pieces. Then I figure that method would create what my Dad likes to call "a tripping stone" and probably not safe for the top of stairs. What do you guys think I should do?

I've attached pictures to show more clearly what I'm talking about. The baseboard in the pictures is coming off as well. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 01-02-09, 09:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The bottom of the stairs you can use qtr round. The top of the stairs you have a coulpe of different options you can use a standard 4 in 1 molding that is available from most laminate companies or you can order a stairnose from the laminate manufacturer...
Philly

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: