Help fixing concrete floor for laminate

Old 01-15-09, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help fixing concrete floor for laminate

I have read the concrete repair sticky, but would still like the experts opinions. We have an addition that was put on our house by the last owner. We have pulled up the carpets and found that there is a hair line crack on one side of the room that spans the room and on the other side of the room a split between what looks like they poured two seperate concrete floors. The one part seems to be lower than the other part. How to I go about briding that cap and leveing the floor for a laminate install? Now the walls have some gaps at the bottom of them where they meet the floor. I was looking at the self leveling but fear once poured it would go into the walls under those small gaps. What should I do to get this floor level and ready for the laminate and keep leveling compound out of the walls. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know any questions you may have and I will get you anything you need. What is suggested for leveling compounds. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-09, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You do not state the difference in height between the two areas. Solving your problem may be as easy as installing a couple layers of roofing felt to raise the level of the floor.

It is extremely important that the floor be flat. No high spots. No low spots. High spots can be ground down. Low spots filled with self-leveling compound.

Self-leveling compound can like be used to fill the small crack. The expansion gap between the two concrete floors should be filled with silicone caulk. That's where you need to leave an expansion gap in the flooring and install a transitional piece. This will accommodate any movement caused by expansion/contraction of the concrete pads.