Subfloor prep for Home Legend engineered wood

Old 01-15-09, 04:55 PM
Exclamation Subfloor prep for Home Legend engineered wood

I am installing Home Legend engineered wood flooring (santos mahogany). The subfloor of very old plywood is not quite level, but does not have waves in it.

I am putting down hardibacker to help create a solid surface and dampen sound (I am on the third floor).

Questions:

1) Is there any problems with my plan of hardibacker? I can not find any information about using it, nor can I find any info which says I can not use it.

2) Will I need a vapor barrier? I have the foam rolls sold along with this brand of flooring (from HD).

Anything else I need to be aware or wary of?

I have installed extensive tile in this condo with great success. I've just never done click-lock flooring.

Thanks -

p.s. - want to move forward on this project ASAP, so helpful and informed answers will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-09, 06:01 PM
All you need is a flat, clean and smooth, subfloor. No high spots or low spots. The flooring does not care if the floor is not level, just as long as it is flat.

Hardibacker is used beneath ceramic tile to provide a stable, water resistant (not waterproof) substrate. There's no problem using hardibacker. It just adds to the expense of materials.

Read and follow your manufacturer's instructions for subfloor prep, vapor retarder, underlayment if required, acclimation and moisture tests, and installation with expansion gaps.

If instructions call for vapor retarder, then use the manufacturer's recommended vapor retarder.

If you want to move forward ASAP in this project, then read the instructions a dozen times. If you have any questions about anything, call the manufacturer's Customer Service number, not the local retailer's sales rep who is not a certified installer. Failure to follow manufacturer's instructions to the tee will void warranties.

Make sure your plans for flooring installation meets the demands of your condo association for sound dampening. I have no research available at this time re: any sound dampening qualities of hardibacker. I seem to recall reading an article re: Hardibacker EZ-Grid having sound dampening qualities, but I would not guarantee that.

If you have questions, contact the hardibacker manufacturer customer service department. Again, if you have questions re: your flooring installation, then contact manufacturer's customer service department direct. Free advice from store sales reps and on internet forums is just free advice.

That and 50 cents used to get you a cup of coffee. No more.

Old 01-15-09, 06:13 PM
i have found that brand to be VERY soft. its very nice, as long as you don't use it. dents very easy.

Old 01-16-09, 07:13 AM
Thumbs up Enjoying my coffee now

Thanks for your comments Twelvepole - this is what I needed to hear. My tile work, though flat, is not level - so I figured it would be okay. Really just wanted some other thoughts on the matter beyond my own.

While I don't think hardibacker claims to be a sound dampener it does have that effect.

Also, we decided to upgrade to the more expensive underlayment - thicker and "bubbled" to help smooth things out further and dampen sound a bit more.

I'm having that cup of coffee now...

From somewhere on Colorado's Continental Divide...

fotomatt