Carpet Glue Removal Method

Old 01-18-09, 05:53 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carpet Glue Removal Method

I have 40 year old yellow carpet glue stuck to my wood floors and after doing research here, found a method of removing it using play sand spread out on the floor and going over it with a floor machine to ball up the glue. I assume you would use an orbital sander, but I am not sure. Could you use a drum sander? What grit should you use? I've read 24 or 36, some say 80 to 100. Any ideas on this would be appreciated. I have tried solvents with little success, and the heat gun is just too slow for the large area I have. Thanks

Old 01-24-09, 05:45 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Most posters tend to have recommended using a coarse grit and reported going through lots of sandpaper. 40-60 is coarse grit. 80-120 medium grit. Here's a chart. Sandpaper 101 - Everything you've ever wanted to know about sandpaper but were afraid to ask.

You will need to know the different grits as you continue to work your way through the grits for finishing the wood floor. You don't want to go hog wild and remove too much of the wood. You can check to see how much wood is left above the tongue by pulling a register and checking.

Go to www.nofma.org and click Publications, How To, Finishing Wood Floors, and PDF to download for free the National Oak Flooring Manufacturer Association's technical manual on finishing wood floors. The instructions will explain the number of passes with the sander and the required grits.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: