No molding over the 1/4" gap

Old 01-25-09, 09:07 PM
No molding over the 1/4" gap

We put Pergo laminate flooring in our kitchen and livingroom, my question is where the doors and cabinets are there will be no floor molding to hide the 1/4" expansion gap, is there a certain transition or molding that will cover that or do I need to fill those with the colored silicone? I contacted Pergo but haven't heard back from them yet. Just wondering what others have done or suggest.

Thanks,
Cody

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-09, 03:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Shoe moulding can be used to hide the gap at the cabinets. There aren't many options for the door casing - caulking would be the easiest.

Old 01-26-09, 03:01 PM
Door jambs should have been undercut and flooring slipped beneath. This makes for a more professional looking job and eliminates the need for caulk.

Here's a video link to how to undercut a door jamb: YouTube - How To Undercut the Door Casing

You will install quarter round in toe kick area of cabinets. Here's a video link on how to install quarter round: YouTube - Quarter Round

Old 01-28-09, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll have to look into the shoe molding and/or the quarter round. As for the door jambs, I did undercut them, it's the door opening space that I was wondering about.

Also, do these moldings float over the 1/4" gap and get nailed directly into the cabinets? One door has a wooden casing that I could fasten them to but the other door is a sliding glass door that has a metal casing, I could probably just glue to that?

Old 01-28-09, 01:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
" it's the door opening space that I was wondering about"

I'm not sure I understand

Usually if shoe has to be installed along the sliding glass dr track, it's nailed to the hardwood but I don't know if you can do that with pergo. How high is the track? You don't want the moulding to go much higher than the metal - caulking might be a better solution.
I'd nail the shoe mould to the cabinets.