sagging subfloor

Old 01-27-09, 02:21 PM
sagging subfloor

I have recently started remodeling a house that was originally built in 1932. All the original structures in the house were built in tongue and groove boards and is quite beautiful. The problem we have is there have been at least 3 additions built to the house at different points in time. The floors and ceilings have sagged at different levels through the years and in the livingroom instead of leveling up the floor and covering the old hearth of a fireplace they simply carpeted over everything and used the carpet to stuff the gaps between the floor and walls. We now are wanting to pull up all the deteriorating carpet and place new floors. How do we need to do this? Our first choice is hardwood but we will go with tile or linoleum if necessary. Our budget is VERY limited but we want it done right and to look good as we hope to be selling this house for a little profit in the next 2 to 3 years. Does anyone have some suggestions for us?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-09, 06:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, if you cannot fix the sagging, hardwood/laminate/tile are out of the question. How much of a sag we talking about here?

Normally, I would want the subfloor ripped up, sister the existing floor joists to bring them level, then add new subflooring.

This really does depend on how "limited" your budget it. If you don't have the money too do that now, I would save up for it, and have it done before selling. In the mean time, replace it with carpet. Carpet is the only covering I know that can mask small sags.