Cupping Hardwood wont go away!!

Old 01-27-09, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Cupping Hardwood wont go away!!

I had a modular home set in June of 07 and I had 2 1/4" oak installed in July. The wood did sit for about 1 week in the home before they installed it but I did not have the AC hooked up at that time. They also put down 2 layers of tar paper before install. They installed the floors which took almost a month and they looked good. During that winter (which I hardly heated the home) I noticed the floors were cupped. I didn't do anything about it for about 6 months. I finally threw in a dehumidifier in the basement that I have set to run all day everyday for the past 6 months. According to my thermostat which is set at 44, says there is only 20% humidity in the home. I also noticed that the worst of the cupping is in the rooms with windows and the the bathroom, pantry and closets the floors seem fine. How the heck can I get rid of the cupping???

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-09, 05:05 PM
Unhappy

You may be getting some moisture in from somewhere. I typically see cupping on hardwood that absorbed water and therefore swelled. If is has been this was for a while, your chances of getting the cupping back to normal may be slim. good idea to monitor the humidity. Sounds like sanding and staining may be in your future. Good luck.

Old 01-28-09, 11:16 PM
Too much time has passed before addressing the issue of cupping. Cupping is secondary to moisture and humidity issues.

Before installation it is recommended that doors and windows be closed and the house brought with the range of normal limits with temp at around 70 and humidity between 35-55% and maintained year round.

If installed over a basement, the basement should be dry and within normal humidity of 35-55%. A moisture test should have been done to test the moisture level of the subfloor and of the wood. No greater difference than 4% for strip flooring and 2% for plank. Once these levels have been reached by acclimating the wood, then the wood can be installed over the vapor retarder.

Failure to maintain temperature and humidity, where humidity is high can resulting in cupping or crowning. Action should have been taken immediately to reduce humidity to get the floor to settle down again. Now it is too late. Sanding to minimize the cupping and refinishing are the only options at this point.

You say:

"The wood did sit for about 1 week in the home before they installed." This means nothing. Only a moisture test of subfloor and flooring will tell you when the wood has acclimated enough.

"I did not have the AC hooked up." The home was unconditioned. Humidity level and temperature were not measured.

"During that winter (which I hardly heated the home)." Humidity level and temperature were not monitored.

"I didn't do anything about it for about 6 months."

"According to my thermostat which is set at 44, says there is only 20% humidity in the home." Thermostats do not measure humidity. Hygrometers measure humidity (sold where thermometers are sold. Humidity should be maintained 35-55% year round. If humidity is low, humidify. If humidity is high, dehumidify. You can not go by the reading on the humidifier. Humidity varies from room to room. A hygrometer will give you humidity level.

"I also noticed that the worst of the cupping is in the rooms with windows and the the bathroom." High humidity can cause condensation on windows. Bathrooms and kitchen typically are higher in humidity than other rooms in the house. Humidity varies from room to room. You must measure with the hygrometer to see if you are maintaining 35-55%.

"Pantry and closets the floors seem fine." Doors are closed most of the time in these areas.

"How the heck can I get rid of the cupping???" Sand to reduce the raised edges on boards and refinish.