Hardwood floor refinishing advice

Old 01-28-09, 08:30 AM
Hardwood floor refinishing advice

So I bought a house recently and am in the process of getting it ready to move into. The carpets were disgusting and was ripping in certain spots. Because of the ripping I learned that it has all hardwood flooring throughout the entire house. So I wanted to restore them the best that I could. I have all the carpet, padding, tack strips, staples and nails removed.

Currently I am working on sanding the stairs and will be doing the living room and dining room floors soon. I am a little reluctant about getting a drum sander because it can grind into the floor if not used properly. I have read that a random orbital sander is safer and that it removes the old finish but won't leave big groove marks in the floor. Recently I was walking around Lowes to get ideas for the house in general and ran into a product similar to this....

I know it's for outdoor use but would it work in a well ventilated area or would I be better off just using one of the sanding methods?

I've never really done any home improvement stuff other than patching nail holes in drywall and painting. SO I'm a complete noob lol.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-09, 08:46 AM
Liquid strippers are expensive, messy, and require multiple applications. Most are flammable and volatile and smelly. Good ventilation would be required (not a good time of the year to open windows!) and precautions taken to prevent sparks.

Sanding will, for the most part, remove dings, dents, and scratches unless they are deep. It will also remove light staining, but not those that have penetrated deep into the wood. Sanding will not leave any residues that will interfere with adhesion of the new finish.

Go to www.nofma.org and click Publications, How To, Finishing Wood Floors, and click the 'PDF' to download for free the National Oak Flooring Manufacturer's technical manual on finishing wood floors.

Old 01-28-09, 09:01 AM
Cool thanks for the quick reply and the guide. I'm just a little nervous about getting the job done and I can't afford to hire a pro. I got a really good deal on the house and despite the work that it needs I couldnt pass it up.

Old 01-28-09, 12:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A deck stripper is a different animal than a paint and varnish stripper which I wouldn't want to use much of in an enclosed space.

You are wise not to want to chance a drum sander - inexperience can ruin a good floor quickly. You can rent a buffer that takes sanding pads. While it won't do as good or fast a job as a drum sander - it is hard to mess up using one

Old 01-28-09, 04:16 PM
I would rather it take longer than mess it up considering I am new to this diy stuff. So I think I will not be using a drum sander.

I do have another question when it comes to staining the floor. Lets say I get most of the stain up but not all of it. If I use a the same color or slightly darker would those spots be that noticeable? I ask this because I have a few stubborn spots in the stairs that I can't seem to get up all the way.

Old 01-29-09, 03:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A penetrating stain only works on raw wood so the areas you can't remove, either won't accept stain or not as much. You should know as soon as you apply and wipe the stain. A lot depends on the color used but sometimes you can get by without it looking bad..... but it's best to remove all the poly and stain before refinishing.

Have you tried scraping the stubborn spots? be carefull not to cut any grooves in the wood when you scrape.

Old 01-29-09, 09:49 AM
No I haven't tried scraping it. Will give that a try today when I make it over to the house. I also think some of the spots may possibly be just dark knot spots in the hardwood.