installation questions for luan underlayment under laminate

Old 02-09-09, 07:54 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
installation questions for luan underlayment under laminate

I am installing 1/4" luan underlayment over 3/4" wood planks before I install a laminate wood flooring. Some questions:
1.) Do I need a vapor barrier between the wood planks and luan. The room is over an unheated basement although the basement does not get extremely cold as the oil burner is located there. I get minimal amounts of water in the basement during a heavy rain. Additionally, I was told some sort of barrier will help reduce squeaks.
2.) What is the best way to attach the underlayment. Home Depot has 1 1/4" underlayment nails (which will portrude through the planks). But I keep reading that screwing down the luan is preferred. If so, what type of screw. I have 1' drywall screws which I could use if appropriate.
3.) Is gluing the underlayment to the planks necessary? If some sort of barrier is used between the luan and wood planks I don't see any point in gluing.
4.) Do I need to leave any room for expansion with the underlayment or can I butt the pieces right up to the wall. And since I will be peicing the underlayment, do I butt the pieces together or need to leave expansion joints there?

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-09-09, 07:50 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is there a reason you need to lay the luan down in the first place? What's keeping you from just floating the laminate over the 3/4" floor? I'm assuming you are using it for height adjustment on the floor.

1. You do not need a MB between the luan and subfloor. You will put the MB between the laminate and luan.
2. I like staples with 1/4" crown. They are small and fast. They also don't leave large holes if you ever want to refinish the origonal 3/4" planks.
3. You don't need to glue it.
4. Leave 1/4" expansion at all vertical walls. You do need to space the boards. Using a penny is an easy way to keep your joints spaced to an acceptable gap.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: