installing oak stairs

Old 02-08-09, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
installing oak stairs

i hope i am in the right forum, if not i tried. mods feel free to move this if needed.

i have a split level home and i am replaceing my old stair treads and risers in i real nice red oak.
the stairs will be installed in a below ground part of the home, so the empty space below the stairs is all concrete and gets a bit humid at times.

so my qusetion is on the stair treads and risers should i stain or treat the sides of the boards that will be exposed to the underside.
Or maybe i should put a vapor barrior on the back side of the stringers?

also any advice on doing trim, like stringer trim would be helpfull. the stairs are enclosed on both sides and its only 5 steps. Its a small project but i dont want problems from missing a tiny detail.

thanks for any tips

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-09, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would use a moisture blocking adhesive on the staircase before installing the wood. MS Plus from Taylor will block signifigant amounts of moisture for gluedown on concrete floors. I don't see why this approach wouldn't work in your situation.

Trowel on a layer and let it dry overnight. It will dry to a hard rubber consistancy. You can then adhere the floor using another layer of the MS+ (to get the proper thickness of the new moisture barrier) and shoot it with staples or nails if needed.