Tongue and groove questions

Old 02-13-09, 07:11 PM
Tongue and groove questions

1. What is the proper way to nail these down? Into the groove or the tongue? I have seen several sources and youtube video (from popular giant hardware store beginning with L) saying to lay the groove facing the wall and to hammer into the tongue. This seems counter-intuitive to me...does it matter?

2. My room is 14 x 19'. Is it okay to just lay the floor from wall to wall over such a wide span?

3. Staple or nails?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-09, 11:28 AM
1. Groove side to the wall, staples or cleats go into the tongue.
2. Room size is fine, just remember your subfloor must be solid, flat and in good shape, and screw down any loose or creaking areas before installing.
3. Generally we use staples on an OSB subfloor, and cleats on a solid wood subfloor, but in a pinch we would use staples over cleats.

Old 02-15-09, 05:49 AM
Originally Posted by chicklittle View Post
1. Groove side to the wall, staples or cleats go into the tongue.
2. Room size is fine, just remember your subfloor must be solid, flat and in good shape, and screw down any loose or creaking areas before installing.
3. Generally we use staples on an OSB subfloor, and cleats on a solid wood subfloor, but in a pinch we would use staples over cleats.
I have some type of 3/4 plywood subfloor, it is not OSB. So cleats then?

Old 02-16-09, 09:50 AM
LOL!!! this is funny!!

I have been called out by wood manufacturers to go look at floors for looseness and bad fit causing gaps. Only to discover it was DIY'er, and the boards are fastened onto the groove, breaking most of the bottom lip of the groove side off. The other the fastener was prohibiting the boards to fit together. They completed the install instead of stopping when the problem started during the install, and then blame the wood! and want it replaced including the installation and tear out.

Hehehehe!! Claim denied!!

The fastener goes in at a 45 angle right where the horizontal and vertical of where the tongue starts protruding out.
If you look closely at the groove side milling, The top of the groove is chamfered to allow for a staple to sit up its thickness.