Run hardwood only under quarter round, or also baseboards?

Old 02-17-09, 02:08 AM
jhh
Run hardwood only under quarter round, or also baseboards?

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to install the floor myself, but I spoke with Home Depot about it. They say they would not be removing the baseboards, but rather just the quarter round and making about an 1/8" perimeter joint.
Would that be enough perimeter joint? I thought it had to be about 1/2"? It would seem much easier not to have to remove the baseboards as likely many would break.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-09, 10:51 AM
I just installed my own Dupont flooring and am using both 1/4 round as well as baseboards, you will have to find a base board the will be around a 1/4 deep for the movement of the floor. I used 2 types of base boards to give the 1/4 I needed. If you go that route just try stacking 2 together untill you find the right combination that looks right for you style. I used the 1/4 round at my slideign glass door and used glue to attach it to the door itself to allow for the floor movement. The stuff is easy to install and took my wife and I about a day to do it.
Rob

Old 02-17-09, 04:38 PM
jhh
Hi Rob,
the issue is really that HD is saying they won't remove my existing baseboards, but only remove the quarter round, install the floor and then cover the 1/8" expansion joint with new quarter round. I've since read in one of my flooring books that is something that can be done. The problem is that some of the manufacturer's install guides say to install with 1/2" perimeter joint which would not be the case with the HD method.
Thanks for sharing your experiences with that though.