What type of flooring should I use?

Old 02-18-09, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face What type of flooring should I use?

Okay, I'm super-confused. Hubby and I want to replace about 750 sf of downstairs carpet (living, dining, master) with some type of hard flooring, preferably wood as we already have ceramic tile in the 'wet' areas and it would (I think) look weird to put in another ceramic tile adjacent to it. We both like hardwood and were thinking some type of engineered wood, but the problem is the swimming pool. We have a small yard and the pool is steps away from the back door. Kids run in and out dripping wet in the warm months (we're in Houston so that's like 6 or 7 months of the year). So we got worried the wood would warp. Then we heard Bamboo is the way to go, but after doing a little research I'm not so sure. I'm now looking at laminate but apparently moisture can do a number on it over time as well. I'd like to say spills are always cleaned up right away but with 3 kids you know how that goes. I'd love to do something we can install ourselves to save $$$ (hubby is quite handy and I'm a good helper), but I don't want to take on something that is so challenging we're bound to mess it up. Also, money is an issue...we had planned to wait out the recession before laying out any major money on home improvement, but these off-white carpets with kids, a dog and a cat are just not working for us. Any recommendations or advice for us? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-09, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I assume you are talking about a prefinished engineered wood floor.
All wood floors are acceptable to moisture.
Engineered wood floors are more stable however topical moisture will damage the urathane coating no mater what species wood it is.
I wouldn't recomend wood if can't control the water from outside.