3/4" Wood floor over 3/4" OSB, what do you think?

Old 02-21-09, 09:10 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile 3/4" Wood floor over 3/4" OSB, what do you think?

I have a 3/4" OSB (straight edge 4' x 8' sheets) subfloor directly over 1.5" x 9.25" pine joists on (give or take) 16" centers with a span of 13' 4".

The OSB is about 30 years old, in decent shape, is fastened to the joists with ring-shank nails, I doubt it's glued and (although it feels sturdy) pops and snaps a bit in places when I walk on it.

I plan on pulling carpet and fastening the OSB to the joists with a few lbs' of galvanized deck screws which leads to my question:

Will a 3/4" x 4" hardwood floor nailed to and through the 3/4" OSB work well..... or..... should I oughta' consider laying another 1/2" of ply over this 3/4" OSB first?

Or should I consider a thinner hardwood.... or an' inguneered' product like a floating or glue down?

Mostly..... will it work well.... and last well... to nail a hardwood to the 3/4" OSB subfloor?

Thanks

Old 02-22-09, 03:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Dave!! I doubt the subflooring is OSB, but rather particle board. If it is OSB, that's not bad. I would drive screws through the subflooring at the joists to prevent movement (use coated torx head #8 x 2" screws - you will thank me later), then sheath at 90 degrees with 1/2" plywood, then install the 3/4" hardwood.

Old 02-22-09, 06:16 AM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Chandler.........

The subfloor is 3/4" OSB.

My concern is.... will a 3/4" or 1/2" hardwood floor nailed to just the OSB substrate be a good thing.... and will it last?

I have heard of new, coated fastener types that may enhance hardwood connectivity to OSB... but I am not sure how to rate and differentiate them.

Is 15" roofing felt directly over the 3/4" OSB subfloor recommend in my situation?

What kind (make & length) of fasteners would be best in my 3/4" OSB situation without a ply underlayment?

Or...... is it really, really necessary to add a ply underlayment to this 3/4" OSB subfloor to get a good, lasting, true hardwood foor?

Or...... should I look at (perhaps) a floating engineered product like "Kahrs"?

Thanks folks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: