Quickstep laminate -- requires expansion joint between last row and wall?

Old 03-03-09, 07:53 PM
Quickstep laminate -- requires expansion joint between last row and wall?

I just got my Quickstep laminate floor order in.. I started reading the instruction and, to my surprise, read the following:

"There must also be an 8 to 10 mm (5/16" to 3/8" expansion joint between the last row and the wall. Keep this in mind when sawing the last row of panels."

Why do I need an expansion joint for the last row? Can't I just put it under a baseboard (and/or quarter round), just like on the other side of the wall? This may be relevant also - the last row will sit against the wall which has baseboard heating on it. If this is just for a nicer look, I don't really care, because it'll be under the heater.. Of course, maybe I should care? What do others think?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-09, 09:44 PM
I'm confused at your question. All you need to know is there has to be that 3/8" expansion gap around the entire perimeter of the laminate. Cover it with whatever you want; base, qr, don't cover it at all, whatever. Expansion gaps have to be there.

Old 03-05-09, 11:50 AM
Thanks Arkon.. You answered my question.. The instructions seemed to imply (at least to me) that expansion joints were required after the final row of boards.. Now that I know that is not the case, I will just use baseboard trim..

Thanks again!