Hardwood over linoleum

Old 03-06-09, 12:29 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hardwood over linoleum

This project is getting me more and more frustrated!
I'm going to install about 650 sq ft of 3/4 in hardwood flooring.

I pulled up the old flooring which was carpet and a Pergo floating floor. Where the carpet was I had to put down a 1/4 in subflooring to bring it up to the same level as the rest of the floor.

The Pergo floating floor was installed over linoleum (probably about 60-70 sq ft of linoleum on the floor now). Right now the linoleum and the rest of the floor is at the exact same height and I planned to lay down a vapor barrier over everything and lay the floor.

Today at the wood flooring place I saw a posting that says not to install wood flooring over linoleum because of potential moisture problems. To pull up the linoleum would not be fun, then what would I lay down there to bring that flooring up to the same level as everything else (something the thickness of linoleum?)? and then, pulling it up would probably splinter the subflooring, if it doesn't crack it or pull it up. The linoleum has been down for about 25 years.

So for kicks I go into another wood flooring place and ask them what to do. The installer there says he goes right over linoleum as long as its in good shape, and he doesn't lay a vapor barrier down over it because he says the old linoleum acts as a vapor barrier.

So, what are your thoughts, what have you done?
Many thanks

Old 03-06-09, 02:25 PM
X
Not sure why the linoleum would not serve adequately as a vapor barrier. I would be more concerned about

a) its suitability as a long-term substrate

b) whether it is true linoleum or contains asbestos

If you go for the rip it up option, have the linoleum and adhesive tested first. Only costs about $25.

Old 03-06-09, 02:42 PM
M
talking to the flooring places and looking online, it seems that around 1979 was when they stopped using asbestos in the glue and linoleum, and mine was built in 1985. So if what I'm hearing and reading is true, I should be ok.

I've looked online a lot today regarding the hardwood over linoleum, and it seems to be running 60% saying its ok as long as its in good shape (which mine is), 40% saying rip it up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: