Vapor Barrier Choices

Old 03-08-09, 02:27 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vapor Barrier Choices

Hi. I just found this thread -- I originally posted this question in the woodoworking section. Hopefully there will be more bites here.

We're getting ready to install some hardwood in a 2nd floor bedroom. We were told by the supplier that felt paper was the best underlayment, versus general construction paper or rosin paper. I have an issue with installing something coated with TAR in a bedroom, and from what I've read, rosin paper does absolutely nothing except provide a cleaner working surface for the installers.

I'm not installing this myself, so I'm not concerned with ease of installation. I want to know about the product that needs to be installed and why it needs to be installed.

Can somebody provide some measurable pros and cons of each type of vapor barrier? Why would I want a paper product to absorb moisture? Wouldn't it simply become food for bugs and mold? The bedroom in question is right over the kitchen, so do I need to protect the floor above from dishwasher / cooking steam?

Does anybody know what "Dream Home Quiet Walk" underlayment is made out of? Any tar/chemicals?

Thanks so much!!!

Last edited by Leetie; 03-08-09 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Edit to subscribe
Old 03-08-09, 02:30 PM
X
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have used both asphalt felt and rosin paper. Far prefer the rosin paper. Much quieter floor. Silent in fact. Tar paper can make a "crinkle" sound underfoot.

Old 03-08-09, 05:22 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
There should be no need for an underlayment under a wood floor installed on top of plywood.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: