Pergo or any brand laminate ?

Old 03-12-09, 06:54 PM
Received 3 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Pergo or any brand laminate ?

Hello all,
I am going to be gutting my kitchen nook and laundry room, knocking the wall out to make them one big room. It is going to be 13x7'. My wife wants to put a laminate hardwood floor down, and i have never installed this stuff. I know it pretty easy and what not, but have a couple questions.

Right now I have 12x12 self stick vinyl tile down. Can I install the laminate on top?? It is a level floor, no waves or dips in it. I was at lowes tonight pricing out my project and found that a certain color of pergo flooring was being discontinued, and it was 40 dollars a carton instead of 60. Had the foam backing on it. To me and others that I have asked so far, pergo is overrated name and was wondering if it was a good buy? There were about 40 cartons left and I need 5.

One last question, would it be ok for a washer and dryer to set on this type of flooring?? What happens if the washer leaks and water gets on the floor?

Thanks
Chris

Old 03-12-09, 08:36 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I dont see a big problem putting it down on the vinyl, providing you have the clearances for doors swinging open, and transitions to existing flooring etc.

We put in some off-name flooring, and its held up well (7 yrs, a 6yr old and a 18 mo old.. ), but you can tell its gonna need replacing eventually (the scratching is getting harder to cover up with treatment). I had a friend give us some Pergo sheets leftover that I used as a backer for a wall cabinet.. what a difference in depth of the 'printed' surface. Im not sure if the extra price is actually worth the difference in depth.. but it does give more life to the sheets before they start to wear thru to the unpatterned 'wood' underneath.

Ours was the older type "glue together" laminate. I dont think you can buy that anymore.. it seems everyone has gone to the click-lock type. I would be afraid of getting click-lock flooring wet, although the 'wood' product is extremely dense and would take alot of moisture before swelling.. there's just something about having that glue in there sealing the connections that I like. Im not sure if you can put glue in a click-lock floor, or otherwise 'seal' it somehow to protect against water.

We have enough of this particular floor in this house (about 1400 sqft of it ?), that I bought a full box of spare sheets just to have as repair spares.. odds are Im not going to be able to find the same colour/style in the future to replace a damaged board. You would have to decide on that one, if in the unlikely event you crushed a board or etc, you could just rip out the whole section and put down a new type.

Anyhow.. just my 0.02

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: