replacing engineered floor boards

Old 03-16-09, 04:03 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
replacing engineered floor boards

My dear husband did a beautiful job installing a rustic style Bruce Hardwood engineered 5" plank floor last weekend. It is glued down over a concrete slab. Unfortunately a few of the boards he installed are just a little too rustic looking for me (and a few other folks we've asked for their opinion) and I would like to see them replaced. A few months ago he tore out the previous engineered flooring in the same room so he has experience removing this type of flooring, however this is a little different since it is only going to be about four boards in the middle of the room that need to be removed.
I've read online that a circular saw should be used 1/2" away from both sides of each board to be removed, as well as a diagonal cut. He had also glued the tongue and groove on each board when installing. How do you remove boards without disturbing the tongue and groove on the adjacent boards you are leaving in place? Do you cut off the tongue on the replacemnt boards so you can fit them in? Do you cut off the tongue on the adjacent board that you are leaving intact to make room to install the replacement board? Also, how likely is it that the new boards will warp if they do not have their tongue and groove? Should he use the same glue he had used to install the floor to install the replacement boards (Bruce glue for engineered flooring, can't remember exact name)?
I have tried to talk him into having a flooring professional do the replacing but I think he is still leaning toward doing it himself.
Thanks for your suggestions!

Old 04-04-09, 03:28 PM
Make sure you tell the pro that you glued the boards together when you are getting an estimate for the repair. There is no good reason to have done that, and it will make the repair much more difficult.

Old 04-27-09, 08:20 PM
C
I have a 4 1/2" engineered hardwood floor that needed to have a board replaced. All I did was take a drill with a 1" hole saw on it and drilled through the floor down to the concrete in several places keeping safely away from the adjoining boards.
I took a wood chisel to remove the rest of the wood. I removed the tongue on the adjoining pieces with the chisel and a utility knife so that there was just an opening. I had to cut off the tongue on the new piece as well. I made sure to scrape off all the old glue so the new piece fit down good.
I just bought a tube of liquid nails adhesive to hold down the new piece. 3 years later it still looks good.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: