filthy hardwood floors

Old 04-07-09, 11:58 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy filthy hardwood floors

I bought a house that is a real fixer upper. The house was built in the 1940's. The hardwood floors have not been cleaned in at least 15 years. There is so much dirt and grime on them I'm not sure we can save them untill we get them cleaned. I don't think there is even a seal on them but will check it first before I do anything.

I need to clean and sanitize the floors before we even work on the house. This needs more then a dry mop or even a steam mop. What could i use to clean it up for now.

Thanks

Old 04-08-09, 03:05 AM
J
I'd test a small spot with a water-diluted mixture of
red oil (or equivalent) and regular household rubbing
alcohol. Maybe a half-hour per room with a roll
of inexpensive paper towells...
That is what I remember as one solution. IANAE though.

Old 04-08-09, 03:20 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
To learn how to refinish hardwood flooring, go to www.nofma.org and click Publications and PDF to download for free the technical manual for finishing hardwood floors. This will take you through the steps for sanding and finishing.

Old 04-08-09, 05:24 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Test as jb stated above, but I would hold off on the refinishing until all of the renovations are done, at least the really ditry work. A good refinishing company can probably advise you on the clean up as well as finish work. They are usually very fussy about prep work before they start a job. VERY FUSSY

Bud

Old 04-11-09, 08:36 AM
L
thank you for the help. The floor is so dirty i'm afraid to walk on it. It has so much grease and grim. Thanks again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: