3/16 difference in subfloor?

Old 04-10-09, 05:53 PM
3/16 difference in subfloor?

installing wide-plank laminate flooring in an open floor-plan house. Problem is the kitchen had vinyl and living room and dining room had carpet with different thickness of underlayment. There's a 3/16" difference between the height of the subfloors, and about an 8foot wide area of transition between the rooms. I want the new floor to flow throughout the entire house seamlessly and don't want to use any t-mold type transition joints.

I'm planning on getting some 3/16" underlayment to bring the subfloors up to the same height...... unless there's some other way.

Can I just step-down the transitions over 8 feet or so by using stick-down tiles, or something? Probably stupid questions, but I'd rather ask before doing two rooms with new underlayment then finding I didn't need to do it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-09, 06:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you want it to flow, bottom line, the subflooring must be the same height. Adding the 3/16 would accomplish it.

Old 04-11-09, 07:28 AM
How much subfloor panels do you need? Your idea with the tiles may work as laminates are supposed to be able to go over the height of 1 layer if vinyl. So spreading out where it steps down between layers over the whole 8 foot span between the rooms may work too. It may be cheaper to use patch to skim out the height difference over the 8 foot span.
approx. $80 for patch, $? for tiles or underlayment.

Old 04-13-09, 06:24 AM
Originally Posted by flooryou View Post
How much subfloor panels do you need? Your idea with the tiles may work as laminates are supposed to be able to go over the height of 1 layer if vinyl. So spreading out where it steps down between layers over the whole 8 foot span between the rooms may work too. It may be cheaper to use patch to skim out the height difference over the 8 foot span.
approx. $80 for patch, $? for tiles or underlayment.
I went with 3/16 underlayment. It took 15 sheets @ $11 per sheet, but ended up with perfectly level transitions.

Old 04-16-09, 08:02 PM
Good job- spent a little more and got a better result.