Old 04-12-09, 09:01 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lubbock
Posts: 104
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi all. I need a reducer to transition from by restroom to hall way. Here's my question. The standard reducers I see don't COVER very much from front to back. The standard size seems to be about 2 1/2 inches from front to back. Problem is, the hardwood flooring near the restroom has a lot of flaws in it. I'd love to have a reducer that's about 5 inches from front to back so that the reducer covers more of the floor.

I could have sworn I've seen before reducers that are larger than standard reducers but, now that I'm trying to find them, I'm having a really hard time. Does anyone understand what I'm talking about and can anyone tell me where I can find these "large reducers?" I've tried Home Depot and Lowes but no luck. I'd like to buy online rather than driving everywhere, but I'm having a hard time with online flooring stores as well. Any tips?

Old 04-12-09, 05:26 PM
HotxxxxxxxOKC's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 7,754
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I've never seen one that size before, but then again, never had the need for one. Only thing I could think of is to have someone make one. Somebody with some wood working tools could make one.....just an idea.
Old 04-17-09, 06:57 PM
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Francisco - Oakland - San Jose
Posts: 3
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Depend on the slope that you try to make a transition, here are few tricks:
- Try the interior threshold with a simple curve and trim off one side to create a reducer with a width you want.
- Try to use some different thin material such as reversible base board (usually 5/16" thick and 2-1/4", 3", 4", 5" tall) and stagger them to make that transition.
- If you are more or less have some carpenter skill, you can easily make one using 3/4" or 1" thick and any width that you want by getting raw material, slope one side with table saw and use sander or multiple orbit grinder to smooth out the edge.
- Order custom transition (most expensive method due to set up fee and so forth).
Hope that helps

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: