What determines good laminate vs cheap?

Old 04-16-09, 09:44 AM
Question What determines good laminate vs cheap?

Im trying to pick some laminate flooring to go in some extra bedrooms and a hallway, all of which get high traffic with chairs scooting over them etc. Im looking at various laminate types, some range from 99 cents/sqft to over $4/sqft and thickness from 6mm to 10mm. What qualities should I look for ? Ive heard that laminate will warp and buckle if water is spilled on it and the water gets underneath, but the thicker varieties will not warp as bad.

help ?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-09, 10:55 AM
For example, Home Depot currently has some laminate they are calling "oak estates" ? Ive never heard of this brand, but it looks nice enough for my needs. Its 6mm and a light-colored wood texture.

Im wondering how well this stuff will stand up to the average household traffic? Probably better than real wood, dont you think?

Old 04-16-09, 07:58 PM
That sounds a little bit thin. I would look for an 8 millimeter laminate as the locking system will be stronger.
As far as traffic, wood holds up just as well as laminate, laminate is just more dent resistant. Also wood can be refinished, and laminate cannot.

Old 04-19-09, 08:26 AM
If you stick the stuff over 2.75 you are pretty safe. Since there are so many things that go into making this type of floor that is not listed on the box, price can serve well as marker for quality. Anything above 3.75 you are usually paying for a look and not an actual quality difference. Though the looks dramatically improve in that 4.50+ range.

If you go cheap you need to buy from a company you trust will resolve issues if they arise. I put a 2.00 lam in my kids bedroom and it was fine for that. I also understand the limitations of cheap laminates and have no unrealistic expectations of there performance. So i wouldn't use the cheap ones in a higher traffic area or spill zone.

Old 04-19-09, 08:07 PM
Here is my new selection. The reviews seem pretty good. Anyone care to comment on this stuff
Dream Home - Charisma 7MM Bolivian Mahogany Laminate

Old 04-20-09, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by BitShift View Post
Here is my new selection. The reviews seem pretty good. Anyone care to comment on this stuff
Dream Home - Charisma 7MM Bolivian Mahogany Laminate
Not too bad!. Take a look at these Kraus deals if you get a chance, Ive heard good things about Kraus laminate flooring too.

Kraus Laminate Deals

Let us know what you decide on.