Finishing hardwood floors

Old 04-16-09, 03:57 PM
Question Finishing hardwood floors

I am finishing my sisters oak floor and was wondering if there is any way to put polyurethane down on most of the floor, then pull out the refrigerator and oven to do those areas. Or will it leave a visible line? Also, is there a better way to apply poly than lambswool? I heard about pros using a squeegee of some kind, but haven't been able to find much out.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-09, 07:47 PM
any way to put polyurethane down on most of the floor, then pull out the refrigerator and oven to do those areas. Or will it leave a visible line?
Yes it will likely show a lap mark there.
is there a better way to apply poly than lambswool? I heard about pros using a squeegee
I think that squeegees are used for epoxy floor coatings, I only use lambswool for oil based poly. They do make a nice roller for water based poly though.

Old 04-17-09, 03:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You could do the first coat of poly on the open flooring, pull out the fridge and stove when dry, finish those areas and then apply the finish coat to the open areas.

Ideally the appliances would be removed and the whole floor finished at one time.

Old 05-16-09, 02:48 PM
Polyurethane on hardwood floors

Sounds like you are doing this yourself.....
I have looked closely at urethane finished floors done by a pro - a highly regarded pro - with his lambswool applicator. When you are standing on the floor, they look Great! Get down on your hands an knees and look closely and you see hair, dirt, lambs wool (presumably), etc. embeded in the finish. The floor does not look like finished furniture.

My wife and I finished our floors with Dura Seal Polyurethane and we used a short nap roller and brushed it out immediately by hand with a good 4" varnish brush - oxhair bristle or whatever (I don't have the brush in front of me now) - but absolutely not a synthetic bristle. They look as good or better than the pro's floors, and have fewer hairs and dirt when you get down on your knees.....

Bottom line here, prep is everything. Vaccuum, vaccuum, vacuum.....