Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Remove 1/4" luan over 5/8" plywood for 3/4" hardwood installation?

PA

04-20-09, 07:46 PM   #1  
Remove 1/4" luan over 5/8" plywood for 3/4" hardwood installation?

I'm planning to install 3/4" hardwood in my kitchen and family room. I removed the vinyl tiles in the family room, and the luan is visible, kitchen still has linoleum.

I have 1/4" luan over 5/8" plywood in both family room and kitchen, in kitchen over the luan I still have linoleum.

My question is should I remove the 3/4" luan in both the kitchen and the family room?

Should I install additional plywood over the existing 5/8" plywood, if so what thickness, can I do it over the luan or after removing it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

04-21-09, 03:58 AM   #2  
You should be able to nail it down right over the luan. Use a 2 inch nail to make sure it is into the 3/4 inch plywood underneath.
If you don't feel deflection when you walk, and go across the floor joists, you shouldn't need more plywood over the subfloor.

PA

04-23-09, 03:53 PM   #3  
Thank you, It would have been a pain to take it off.

I have one more question, i have the same material

in my kitchen too (5/8" + 1/4" luan nailed on top of it) well on top of this I have lenolium glued on on the kitchen floor.

Should I take off the lenolium, it will be difficult since its glued down. I'm assuming this may be a good vapor barrier????

If I leave the linolium as is and nail down the 3/4" hard wood floor, will there be a noticeable floor height between the kitchen floor and the family room which will cause the hardwood to sag?

Thanks.

04-24-09, 09:22 PM   #4  
Go right over the vinyl and you can use an extra layer of felt paper next to the edge of the vinyl to help fill the void.

PA

04-25-09, 09:27 PM   #5  
Sounds like a plan, thanks.

Since I'm going to go with hardwood (3/4") right over the kitchen linolium, should I put any paper in between the linolium and hardwood?

04-29-09, 08:28 PM   #6  
Posted By: mtom01 Sounds like a plan, thanks.

Since I'm going to go with hardwood (3/4") right over the kitchen linolium, should I put any paper in between the linolium and hardwood?
Paper could help with sound absorption, so you should use it.

AL

12-08-12, 05:12 AM   #7  
Screws not Nails

I know this post is old, but for those searching and reading, never use nails to put down plywood to floors. Always use screws so that you do not get any bending. If you tile this is a MUST. Just an FYI on the DIY.

WA

12-15-12, 09:09 PM   #8  
Nobody was planning on laying plywood in this thread, but uh..nails can be used, especially if they're ringshank, galvanized, or cement-coated.. Besides, screws will not prevent subfloor deflection any more than nails, if that's what you're referring too....I can't tell, because you've failed to provide any substance in your post. Now, let this thread die.

Search this Thread