Mismatched tongue and grooves

Old 04-21-09, 09:43 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mismatched tongue and grooves

I am installing a recycled maple gym floor and am looking for a good solution. The tongues seem to be all milled the same height from the bottom of the boards but the grooves are lower than the tongue height causing the groove part of the board to be raised (tilted). I can recut the grooves wider but then the tongue won't hold the board down. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 04-21-09, 10:09 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Sounds odd. I wonder if those were made on-site originally and there was some variance across the floor ? Did you get the whole original floor ? If you have to regroove the sheets, would it be possible to use some type of glue to fill the void and keep them tight ? The glue would be on the top of the tongue, so it should stay in place and harden there. If your subfloor flexes though it might snap the glue.. not sure.

Just a thought..

Old 04-21-09, 07:53 PM
D
mismatch reply

Thanks for the response ... the boards are all from the Yawkey mill one of the largest in the country .. all edge grain .. have thought about using silicone to fill the gaps but ... glue will crack over time ... and the research continues

Old 04-23-09, 01:55 PM
As long as the tongue engages the groove tightly, it won't be a problem.

Old 04-23-09, 04:11 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Maybe thats the only thing to do.. put em together as-is and then sand down the profile (they probably need a sanding anyhow ?).

Old 04-24-09, 07:41 AM
It is kinda sketchy from the description, but I took it as there is overwood. Proud edges. From the flooring being sanded in the past during it's gym use. It was taken up and reinstalled elsewhere and the boards are not right next to the board they were installed next to, so there is a variation in the floor thickness.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: