HELP: Bubbles in poly, even after second coat

Old 04-25-09, 02:34 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
HELP: Bubbles in poly, even after second coat

I recently bought a home, and I had a contractor install some floors for me. I got unfinished engineered red oak floor to match the floors in other areas of the house. After laying down the new floor, he sanded both the new floors and the old floors, applied two layers of sealer, and laid down the poly. For the pre-existing floor he laid down another layer of poly, but has yet to apply it to the new flooring. Now there are bubbles in both areas.

In case you got lost in my rant, I have two sections of floors in my house, both unfinished engineered red oak.

Area one: Pre-existing floor, was sanded and has one layer of poly.
Area two: New floor purchased by me. Had time to assimilate, was laid down in rooms where there had previously been carpet. Was sanded, had two layers of sealer applied, a coat of poly, sanded, and another coat 24 hours later.

I understand that bubbles are common after a single layer of poly, but there is still serious bubble-age in the rooms where two layers have already been applied. Is this a serious problem? What should I do?

I have noticed there are more bubbles where the room is exposed to sunlight, but this may well be simply because I can't really see anywhere else because I haven't been allowed to actually go into these rooms yet as the second layer is still drying. Is it possible the sun is the culprit?

Any help will be appreciated, if you need more information just ask.

Old 04-25-09, 06:13 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm guessing that he "hot coated" the floor. That means that the sealer was not allowed to dry completely and then screened between coats.
You should screen off all finish and start over. This time only use 1 coat of sealer then two coats of poly. Allow finish to dry between coats, then screen and clean and then coat. Screening should produce white powder, not gumming up screen.
The sun didn't make the bubbles, it just allows you to see it better.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: