Big Hump in middle of kitchen floor!!

Old 04-28-09, 04:41 PM
Angry Big Hump in middle of kitchen floor!!

I am about to lay ceramic tile over the kitchen floor, which has vinyl over the hardwood subfloor.Running down the middle of the floor there is a hump in the subfloor under the vinyl. Is it possible to cut on either side of the hump, take up the vinyl and then rip cut down the center of the hump as many times as I need to take out the hump and nail it flat? This is a renthouse and my landlord is what I like to call a money man, My money into his hand. HA!! so you can see I am trying to cut cost as much as possible. Need help for a poor fellow. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-09, 05:33 PM
Can you see anything from below?

Bud

Old 04-28-09, 07:10 PM
Talking no way!!!!

I am not about to crawl under this old house and start takeing apart floor joist for this old miser.I would like to do all I can from the inside,after all, he's not paying me to do anything to fix HIS house up. THANKS FOR GETTING BACK to me.

Old 04-29-09, 04:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Basically, since it is a rental, I wouldn't do anything to alter it. You become liable for it, and the old miser could make you pay deeply for modification. Is there a cantilevered deck off this kitchen?

Old 04-29-09, 07:34 AM
I rarely enter such places any more, but I have done my share. what I was looking for wasn't that you do the repairs from down there, but that maybe you could see the cause. Sometines a joist with a post supporting it is causing the hump because all of the others are sagging. Understanding the cause helps determine the solution.

But I understand!!!
Bud

Old 04-29-09, 07:42 AM
hump in floor

what you said, makes alot of sense. I will try to see from the outside entrance. I don't old man cares about what I do as long as it doesn't cost him. I did remodel the bathroom and spent about $500 on that. If you could have seen it before you would understand. Thanks.

Old 05-03-09, 02:51 PM
Ceramic over vinyl?

Please tell me you are NOT going to install the ceramic over vinyl. You need to strip off the vinyl and get down to the subfloor. If you install over the existing floor it'll crack in a month.

Old 05-03-09, 06:19 PM
hump

Thanks for letting me know that. I guess I will rip up all that vinyl. will I have to put down some felt or anything over the floor?