Outside porch floor finish

Old 05-07-09, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outside porch floor finish

We had a "new" porch floor put down a few years ago on our 112 year old victorian. It was actually fir t&g boards that were pulled out of another old house. They sanded and refinished the floors and they looked great for about a year and then started to show a small bit of peeling. They came back out and buffed it down and put another coat or 2 of a different product down that lasted about another year and its peeling even worse.

He currently doesn't have any suggestions on a finish that can take the exposure. The porch is covered, but obviously it can get some rain (and snow) on it occasionally. We do clean it off, but obviously we can't keep it clean all the time.

Looking for suggestions...

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-09, 02:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
What type of finish are you using?

Porch and deck enamels will hold up better than a clear finish like polyurathane.

Old 05-07-09, 02:52 PM
The first time around they just used a water-based poly of some sort (same stuff they used inside of our house). He said they had done a few other covered porches and never really had a problem. The most recent time I thought they switched to an oil-based product, but it was still a clear finish.

Ideally we don't want to paint the floors as we really like the look of the floors (since they match those inside the house).

Old 05-07-09, 03:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As far as I know, there isn't any water based poly/varnish that is rated for exterior use. I don't know what oil base poly your guy used but a spar varnish/poly [like minwax helmsman] will hold up the best. Spar = marine type coating.

Old 05-07-09, 07:31 PM
I have used Cabot's Australian Timber Oil Natural color
and i'm on my third year. although when you put it down you
need to full strokes no stopping on a board.

make sure you use a deck stripper to get that other junk off first
then use the cabot's.
good luck

Last edited by risoworker; 05-07-09 at 07:32 PM. Reason: new step to add
Old 05-12-09, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
As far as I know, there isn't any water based poly/varnish that is rated for exterior use. I don't know what oil base poly your guy used but a spar varnish/poly [like minwax helmsman] will hold up the best. Spar = marine type coating.
OK, I've done some research on the web and a spar varnish sounds like it would be the best bet. We've also decided that we'll try and "plastic in" our porch this winter, so hopefully that will help as well.

Only problem I've seen is that most of the spar varnish companies don't recommend using their product on floors. Any ideas why ? Our porch doesn't get much traffic, mainly used for a couple of rocking chairs, etc. (watching the world go bye)...

Old 05-13-09, 04:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Spar varnish/poly is formulated more for weather related wear than traffic. This makes it dry to a finish not as hard as interior poly so it might 'mark up' easier. Either way there is going to be more maintainence on your deck flooring than most.

When you say that the oil poly peeled worse than the waterbased - is it possible the water base is still peeling and bringing the oil poly with it?