Stair tread removal

Old 05-08-09, 09:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Stair tread removal

Im in the process of finishing my basement. Currently we have carpet on the stairs leading to the basement. I would like to put down some new oak treads. The problem I am having is this. The walls on both sides of the steps were drywalled years ago which means that anywhere between 1 and 2 inches of the original treads are behind the drywall. What would be the best way, if any, to remove the old treads without having to tear into the walls? This is assuming that the old treads are nailed down at each end of the stringers.Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-09, 05:29 PM
They should not have been installed this way. There should have been a skirt board installed over the sheetrock and the treads and risers installed between the skirt boards. You may be able to remove the treads by cutting them front to back in the middle and prying them from the middle up to the ends with minimal damage to the sheetrock.

Old 05-08-09, 05:52 PM
could of should of huh Not in this old house. Thanks for the reply. Thats kind of what I was thinking about cutting the treads in the middle and trying to pry up. Also thought about somehow cutting the treads flush with the walls and having another set of stringers nailed up against the existing ones. I can access them from underneath

Old 05-09-09, 04:34 AM
Since you have access to underneath, are the outer stringers set inward or fully under the sheetrock? Your idea of another set of stringers may be a good option, although you won't be able to insert a skirt board. It is possible, too, that your new treads will be a little thicker than the ones you are removing and may help cover any boo boo's. Let us know if we can help further.