Engineered Wood vs Laminate for kitchen

Old 05-12-09, 07:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Engineered Wood vs Laminate for kitchen

I am fixing to gut my kitchen and remodel the whole room. We have recently installed oak floors throughout the rest of the first floor and I want that flavor in the kitchen also, but without solid wood floors. What are the issues / pros-cons that should be considered in making a choice between floating laminate and engineered wood floor. As I understand, laminate floors are hard, but cannot be refinished. On the other hand engineered floors may not be as hard, but can be refinished to an extent. Is one or the other easier to install? What other factors should I consider?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-09, 06:24 AM
Application is a consideration

For a kitchen application IMO the choice is pretty much spelled out for you. Laminate. Since it is the most water and stain resistant.
Maybe you won't jump up and down at the richness and depth it provides as compared to engineered, but the impression of a wood floor will be there, as well as durability. My mom had light maple laminate in her living/dining room. After a few years it still looked brand new. And she had a big dog two cats and is an avid gardener who lived in an area with very sandy soil.

Engineered and laminate are cheaper and easier to correctly install than hardwood,since they come in large panels, but putting engineered in a kitchen is the same as using hardwood.

Have you given any thought to the ability of a nice earth tone tile to continue the "flavor" of your oak floors into the kitchen?
Happy researching! But keep in mind your intended application when doing so. I hope your kitchen remodel goes smoothly!

Old 05-16-09, 04:26 PM
Engineered Wood vs Laminae for kitchen

Thanks for the comment and insight.