Underlayment question

Old 05-20-09, 09:42 PM
Underlayment question

I am installing some Bruce fold/lock and have some underlayment that is 2N1. It is blue with foam on one side and plastic film on the other side. My question is:
Which side goes down next to the concrete slab? I think
the film side goes DOWN and the foam side goes UP. HOWEVER I have been told it goes the reverse way.

I need some expert advice so I can get going!

Thanks for any and all tips,

Jim
South Georgia
(first time poster, newbie )

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-09, 03:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Jim, welcome to the forums. Unless the installation instructions for the underlayment dictate otherwise, the foam goes up and the plastic goes down.

Old 05-21-09, 05:54 AM
Underlayment Question

Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Jim, welcome to the forums. Unless the installation instructions for the underlayment dictate otherwise, the foam goes up and the plastic goes down.
Aha..a fellow Georgian! Well Chandler the instructions don't say and I find that hard to believe it's not printed on them. Anyway, I've even tried to find out from the distributor with no luck. From the blue & grey store with the red vest folks" where I bought it and from a commercial installer who says he puts it foam down nx to slab..(sheez). I dunno...

So far, my research shows your way.

Thanks and maybe I'll get some more opinions.

Old 05-21-09, 01:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, just a little north of you, and 2200 feet closer to heaven. I have even had padding with the instructions "this side down" printed on it. Surely yours isn't printed that way is it???? I mean, it could be a south Georgia thing, don't know.
It would just make more sense to me to put the vapor barrier down and the cushion up. Let us know what you find out.

Old 05-22-09, 07:52 AM
Hi Jill....the barrier should always face down against the concrete. Otherwise, you trap the foam between the concrete and vapor barrier, allowing it to hold moisture, resulting in mold and mildew growth.

Old 05-22-09, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by tn.floorguy View Post
Hi Jill....the barrier should always face down against the concrete. Otherwise, you trap the foam between the concrete and vapor barrier, allowing it to hold moisture, resulting in mold and mildew growth.
========
Tnx..that's what my limited knowledge of construction was telling me as well. The store is now telling me it really doesn't matter since they are both sealed, but foam is foam in my book. I'm trying to get an answer from the underlayment distributor, but no luck. The directions on the roll doesn't say anything about it. I figure if I had enough response here, it would re-enforce my thoughts. Seems sorta strange.. (oh..the name is jiM,not JiLL)