Hardwood Subfloor help please

Old 05-22-09, 09:29 AM
Hardwood Subfloor help please

Hello,

I'm looking to install 3/4 OAK hardwoods.

I have 16" joists with OSB subfloor. I weigh 195lbs and if I bounce hard between the joists I can cause a mild flex in the subfloor (1/16 inch?).

1. Should I add 1/2 ply on top?

2. With my current subfloor the pieces laying across the joists are glued together. Do I need to run the saw to create a 1/8gap between the boards as the directions indicated? Do I still need to do this if I add the 1/2 ply on top?

3. When adding 1/2 ply how exactly do I glue and screw it? i.e.-where glue and how many screws?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-09, 04:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! You left out one critical thing....how thick is your subflooring? If your subflooring is solid, don't cut it. If it is truly OSB and not Advantech or other approved subflooring, yes you will need to apply an additional 1/2" on top. Just be aware, raising the subflooring will raise your hardwoods. How will this affect the doors and molding in the room?

Larry

Old 05-31-09, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Welcome to the forums! You left out one critical thing....how thick is your subflooring? If your subflooring is solid, don't cut it. If it is truly OSB and not Advantech or other approved subflooring, yes you will need to apply an additional 1/2" on top. Just be aware, raising the subflooring will raise your hardwoods. How will this affect the doors and molding in the room?

Larry
Thanks for the info and welcome!

I currently have a 19 / 32 subfloor. That is one thing that is bothering me is adding the 1/2 will raise the floor up a decent amount. I can assume that adding an 11/32 piece would pretty much be pointless correct?

I regards to the trim, that doesn't matter in my case since I'm redoing the entire room.

Thanks!