Subfloor recommendation?

Old 06-05-09, 12:44 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Subfloor recommendation?

We're installing an inexpensive click and lock laminate floor in a small bathroom. Amateur here. What kind of prep is appropriate for this floor: I ripped up sheet vinyl from the bathroom floor and found the original 1960 asbestos tiles 9 x 9 beneath it. The asbestos tiles are intact. Someone used levelling compound on some asbestos tiles before they put the sheet vinyl down. The bathroom floor squeaks in places. I want to avoid removing the asbestos tiles because of the dust. Question: If I use levelling compound on the asbestos tiles so that the floor measures to be level, then I put down an underlayment sheet, would this be sufficient for the click and lock laminate floor? Or would it be better to put down plywood before installing the new laminate? If plywood, what size and type do I ask for at the hardware store? My friend may be able to cut it to fit the bathroom, if we get the right cutting tool. Thanks.

Old 06-05-09, 01:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! I know the word "asbestos" has you in fear of mesotheliomia, but removing the tiles carefully and wearing a good quality dust mask, you should be ok. Break as few as you can. You will need to screw the existing subflooring down to the joisting to keep it from squeaking, so the tile has to go. Then you can lay down a 1/2 or 5/8" layer of plywood, which should give you a good stratum for your laminate. Be sure to use the underliner during your installation, and keep adequately away from each wall since it has to expand and contract with temperature and humidity. Any trim will need to be nailed sideways, and not through the laminate, since it has to float under the trim.

Old 06-05-09, 02:32 PM
N
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm not a plumber but keep in mind the height of the toilet drain (flange) in any of the flooring work that you do.

Old 06-05-09, 04:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Good point. If you exceed the height of the toilet flange by adding the subflooring and the laminate, you can always install an extension ring to build it up to grade level.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: