Question about leveling out the floor

Old 06-11-09, 09:59 AM
Question about leveling out the floor

Hey gang...

I'm currently tearing up the luan/parquet in my living room. I want to lay down Pergo, but I need to get my room flat. There is one issue surrounding the main support beam of my house. I have no idea how to fix it and properly prep for pergo. I'm not too keen on the leveling compound idea, but I could easily work with the roofing felt ideas. Any thoughts on the best way to prep my wood subfloor for pergo?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-09, 06:31 PM
bummer beam eh?

Looks like your house has settled a bit but not the big beam. Pergo like most laminates is a floating floor, and a lot are laid over a very thin foam backer...it comes in rolls like roofing felt, some of the newer styles of pergo have it built in.

the small gap to the left of your beam in the pic could easly be filled with a self leveling compound...since you are not nailing trough it it will not be a problem. the dip on the room side might be best addressd by feathering some thin set out about three or four feet...skill here will ease the transition to the rest of the floor.

I had a similar problem with an addtion on a room 1/2" to 3/8" off set...eased over four feet you can not see the dip.

FIO most flooring is installed parallel to the long dimension of the room