Laminate does not lay down evenly

Old 06-12-09, 12:43 PM
Laminate does not lay down evenly

Ok, so the wife and I are about to take on our first project as a married couple SHould be fun!

We are going to replace carpet in our condo with laminate. We are going to be doing everything ourselves, but I had a few questions. I bought one box of the laminate we are going to use from HD, and put a couple planks down just to make sure the color is right. They all lock together, and look good, except that they don't lie down flat. the end pieces (6 total planks) kind of bow up. Is this normal? I have not let the pieces get acclimated to the room yet, so maybe that is why? Or is it a case where they will lie flat once more boards are attached and the weight is greateR? Thanks for any help!

Josh

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-09, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator
No expert...but I think the answer to both your questions is YES. They have to acclimate according to instructions...and as more are added they will help everything lay flat. Ta least thats what I found in my projects. The molding covering the ends and sides will also help hold them down to some extent.

Of course it also depends on whether you bought a quality product, or one of HD's cheap Chinese imports.

EDIT...
Oh, and the subfloor needs to be FLAT...not necessarily level...but flat...no dips, bulges, etc. If its not..you will have cracking and flexing.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 06-12-09 at 01:01 PM. Reason: add'l info