Snap, crackle, and crikle

Old 06-16-09, 08:36 PM
Snap, crackle, and crikle

Help...does lock and fold suposed to be noisy???
Just finished a room install of Bruce lock and fold engineered
hardwood (Gunstock Oak) from Lowes. Used the 2N1 blue underlayment with foam up, plastic down on the concrete slab. Shop vac'd all before install. When one walks on it, it sounds like rice crispies under your feet! I can't believe this is the correct sound...is it??? I wonder if I got a bad batch run, as the slab is level. Comments ?? Tnx, JIM

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-09, 11:11 AM
Jim, usually noise coming from these types of floors is due to deflection caused by subfloors that are not flat. Level is not the key here...the floor does not have to be level, but it must be flat. Bruce's requirement is that it be flat to 3/16" per 8' span. If you didn't use a straight edge and insure the flatness, I would first disassemble the floor, check the flatness, and do any necessary filling or grinding before reinstalling.

If you did check the subfloor thoroughly and are sure it met the specification, it is possible that the tongue & groove were not properly waxed at the factory when it was milled. The wax prevents squeaking caused by wood-to-wood contact in the locking mechanism. I have seen floors without enough wax or with wax applied to the wrong area of the locking mechanism.

Old 06-17-09, 10:36 PM
Tnx for comments tn.floorguy. I think you may have pegged it on the later situation regarding the locking. I'm 99% sure that we're level all over, and it's crispie all over. You sure can't
sneak up on anyone, they'll hear you coming. I guess I need to try to get a rep from Bruce to examine before I take it up??

Old 08-22-09, 03:33 PM
Did you get the rice crispies taken care of? If so, what was the cure?