how to remove 50 yr old padding stuck to hardwood?

Old 06-17-09, 09:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how to remove 50 yr old padding stuck to hardwood?

It looks like a rubber mat with a pattern on it. The pattern remains on some of the hardwood when i picked up the carpet. I used a putty knife to scrape away the clumps of the padding.

Otherwise the floor looks in what i deem very good condition and i really dont think it needs totally redone. Plus i dont have the money for someone to come in and do it and i was hoping to just get the patterns off the boards then shine it up somehow.

any advice on any of this would be appreciated

oh they dont expect you to fill in those thousands of tacking strip nail holes do they?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-09, 10:10 AM
Have you tried cleaning it with some paint thinner?...sometimes a little elbow grease is all it takes.

Old 06-17-09, 10:19 AM
no only thing i tried was murphys and a mop. didnt do any good at all

Will paint thinner discolor it at all? There's pretty much no shiny stuff on the wood (my bedroom has never had carpet and that is all shined up) so i guess i really cant hurt anything with thinner since there's no obvious coating but i just worry will damage wood somehow

Old 06-18-09, 10:35 AM
hand work

before you moan and groan about doing the whole floor...test an area in the corner somewhere...the mop was tooooo gentle. this will require getting down on your hands and knees with a gentle scotchbrite type pad (white buff) and rub with the thinner, Most likely the finish coat on the wood is oil based and this solvent is completely compatable with it. I often use a rag with thinner as a "tack cloth" to remove sanding or cleaning residues. .. the finish is dull due to abrasion and dirt that has filtered down though the carpet over the years. once the padding marks are up you might need to "freshen" the topcoat...even though it not reccomended for floors, a "wiping poly" can bring back some shine pretty easily and is very easy to do.

Old 06-29-09, 04:18 PM
i've tried goo gone and that did nothing

next i just bought a mild stripper that says it's just for removing varnish..didnt say anything about cleaning off adhesive etc. nope didnt clean it off at all.

so i decided to take a sanding pad and just see what that would do. I didnt want to take too much off of course. But after a few rounds, the padding stain did start to come off. I guess this means it really does have to be sanded down in order to get the stain out unfortunately. But heck i guess i have nothing to lose by trying some other stripper, right?

i guess it has to be restained then (it was very light just the little bit of sanding that i did) and that doesnt sound fun. It's in the hall from the bedrooms to the bathroom so would be impossible not to walk on it and i've heard it takes days to dry.

the 'good news' is that the living room and dining room have different padding, just foam, so i doubt ill have the same issues if i ever try to take up that carpet.