dog urine on unfinished oak

Old 07-05-09, 03:14 AM
dog urine on unfinished oak

I have spent many hours this week installing 2 1/4" white oak select 3/4" plank flooring complete with hand-made, custom inlays. I woke up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and I discovered my roommate's [email protected][email protected]##$%^*(*&(^%$#@! dog peed on the floor. I mopped it up immediately. I put bleach on it, let it sit 5 minutes, and mopped up again. Then, I got scalding hot water, poured it on the floor and spent the next 15-20 minutes thoroughly and repeatedly sucking out the moisture with a good wet/dry shopvac. I now have a fan aimed at that spot to remove any residual moisture. Any suggestions on what to do next? Until the floor dries completely, I have no idea if the stain will remain. By the same token, I am afraid if I let the affected area dry completely, the stain will set. I can replace the affected planks, if necessary, but this is a choice of last resort as it is time consuming and, more importantly, would affect the floor's structural integrity as a whole. Any advice or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks for looking at my post. I know it is long, Sorry.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-09, 05:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Turn off the alarms, and let it dry. You can't keep wetting oak or it will stain on its own without the dog pee. Post a couple of pictures on a site such as photobucket.com and copy/paste the HTML code to your reply post so we can see what you see. Let us know what it looks like after it thoroughly dries.

Larry

Old 07-05-09, 10:34 AM
The humidity is up today as it is raining lightly. I believe, though, that the shopvac did the trick. I used the hose with no attachments so that I was vacuuming a 1-2 square inch area and I was very slow to move the hose around: I was trying to extract the maximum amount of moisture. There is one board I may have to replace but I can't see any discoloration elsewhere. I was afraid they would turn black. I will make a judgement call on the one plank when the humidity level drops. I will post a few photos shortly in case you would like to see for yourself. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for your advice, and on a Sunday too. Very thoughtful and considerate. I will never forget it.

Old 07-05-09, 10:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It sounded as if you needed immediate help. No problem. We dodged the rain here in the mountains, but they say more is on the way. But next week should be a nice week. Our humidity and temp is about 10 points lower than yours, though. Go ahead and send the pix, if you like. Others will look as well and may have better answers than mine. Good luck.