How to cut bottom of stair case?

Old 07-06-09, 11:39 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to cut bottom of stair case?

As you can see in the following image I will need to cut the stair case so the wood planks will be under it. I cannot figure out what kind of tool would do this job. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by btbowden; 07-06-09 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-06-09, 12:35 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi bt, sorry but can't tell a thing from your picture and your description. If that is a new floor you are installing and you need to undercut the kick board so the flooring will fit underneath, there are several tools designed for that. Shrink your photos down so we can see them and show us where you need to cut.

Bud

Old 07-06-09, 01:45 PM
B
Edited image

Sorry, i just shrank the photo and circled the area in red. The other side of the stair case has the wood going under this area so I know i need to cut it. I am just not sure what kind of tool I would need to make a nice clean cut in the area it is located.

Old 07-06-09, 02:03 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Thank you, I was chasing it all over the screen. It looks like any one of the flush cut tools should do the job for you. They will range from a hand saw with a flexible blade to a special circular saw, way beyond what you need. In between are a group of vibrating saws, from Fein, Dremel, Bosch and others. They range from expensive to home owner priced. For just one cut, I personally would use the flex blade hand saw. If you are a tool nut (like me) check out the multi-tools. Either one, you simply place a similar thickness board up against the surface where you want to cut, and saw directly above it. Then your boards will slide right under. If you want a tighter fit, use a spacer board that is slightly thinner.

Hope this helps,
Bud

Old 07-06-09, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I'm wondering why you want to cut it? It will still be noticable. Why not just use shoe mold like is around the newel post? Looks like you've already pulled the base in the carpeted area, will you be replacing that afer pulling the carpet and installing the wood?

Old 07-06-09, 03:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
I agree with both posts. and to further, why would you take a picture of the opposite side of the stairs for information on the other side. If we could see the problem, we may can offer advice, but cutting the staircase is usually not done. Hardwoods, carpets, etc. are run right up to it and either carefully cut (best) or molded.

Old 07-06-09, 04:42 PM
E
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
From the photo, it looks like the bottom riser is already too short, compared to the next one up, in the photo. What kind of thick floor is going over the existing floor?

Old 07-06-09, 07:40 PM
B
Other side

Here is the other side. I replaced damaged hardwood and you see where there was shoe molding there before that needs to be put back.

Old 07-06-09, 07:42 PM
B
Cherry

Originally Posted by ecman51`
From the photo, it looks like the bottom riser is already too short, compared to the next one up, in the photo. What kind of thick floor is going over the existing floor?
If is Brazilian Cherry, 3/4"x5".

Old 07-07-09, 03:50 AM
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
You're going to be using shoe molding anyway, so a good cut right up to the skirt and the addition of shoe will be sufficient. You don't have to cut the skirt to run the flooring under it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: