are my hardwood floors refinishable

Old 07-10-09, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
are my hardwood floors refinishable

my hardwood floors have been refinished at least once previously that i know of. After that they were covered with carpet for many years. I removed the carpet after purchase of the home to have hard wood floors. There are many stable holes that are visible and many areas where the existing varnish is worn away already. Now i want to refinish the floors but im am unsure if they are thick enough to do it. I dont need them to be perfect cause i kind of like the older beat up look but its a little to beat up. So i guess what im asking is how thick do the floors need to be cause i dont have to take out each imperfection? Also if they are to thin is there another option? Im just worried cause everything i read says to start with 36 grit....and i know that takes off a lot im sure....any help would be greatly appriciated

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-09, 11:04 AM
if they've already been redone once, your best bet is to get at the ends of the pieces by pulling up an air vent or similar and having a look. if most of the top section of groove covering the tongue of the next piece is gone, then probably refinishing a second time will be too much.

if you don't mind taking the chance and spending the time and effort, you could try just going ahead and refinishing them, see how it comes out. i wouldn't start with a 36grit, though, since you said you do like the distressed look, just not terminally distressed. start with a lighter paper and work up from there. if you go with 36, it'll remove pretty much all of the character. if you go with a lighter paper, you might get away with refinishing when conventional theory says the floor is past it. depending on how big the floor is, you might even go one step further and do it by hand instead of renting the big floor sander. i've redone a couple of floors by hand using hand tools and for one thing, it's way easier to keep the area clean - i did my sister's stairs and even though her kids have asthma, the family was able to keep living in the house for the four days it took me to sand them using five grades and then putting down 10 coats of finish with sanding between - one hand sanded, the other held the vaccuum hose!

Old 08-07-09, 04:04 PM
I'm sure your floors are thick enough to be refinished. You don't need to take that much of them at all. id just go ahead and do it. like i said if your floors are so thin you cant refinish them...u need more floors