Looking to replace a small section of my hardwood floor

Old 07-19-09, 03:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Looking to replace a small section of my hardwood floor

I am looking to replace a small section of my hardwood floor. It is badly damaged with scratches, dents, and abbrations. The wood in that particular section is also very rough and dry, and I'm trying to find some information about replacing that section only. Does anyone know how expensive this will be? Also, would I be able to do it myself or have to hire a contractor? Any information will greatly help. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-09, 05:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! How large is this area. Length versus number of planks? Is it located on the edge, or in the middle of the floor? You may help us to help you by taking a couple of pix of the area and posting them on a site such as photobucket.com and copy/paste the HTML code to your reply post.

Old 07-21-09, 11:11 AM
When I had this done on my floors the installer charged by the board. After pulling up the living room carpet there were pet stains in wood from the previous owner. The guys were there already to refinish the floors so adding on some additional patchwork to the scope of their job wasn't a big deal or huge cost (approx $30 a board. 2 1/4 oak) - pet stain effected 3 boards.

Can you do it yourself, sure. The question is how comfortable are you in doing it? I believe there is a video on the web site of a PBS created show about old houses that shows the process. You tube may also give you a hint as to what you're facing. Had mine been in an upstairs bedroom I would have considered doing it myself however since the effected area was in the middle of the living room I didn't want that to be my first time.

One more thing to keep in mind is that if the flooring you have is tough to find at the lumber yard you may be able to use material from a closet and then just replace the closet floor with something else.

Old 07-21-09, 11:32 AM
thanks for the responses and the ideas folks, they are certainly a great help to me.

Old 07-22-09, 03:55 PM
Welcome!

I've had previous problems with hardwood flooring as well. While they can be difficult and costly to maintain, to me, they're much better looking and far more aesthetically pleasing than carpeting. If you can't find an affordable solution for wood flooring, then consider investing in a smaller area rug to cover up the rough patch until you have possession of the funds necessary for repairing your floor altogether!

Cheers,
DIYGuru

Old 07-28-09, 04:06 PM
Hey everyone, i saw this post and thought I'd give you a suggestion for a hardwood flooring company. My friend used them and said they were great. I agree with njnorsky, some projects are just out of the scope of many peoples skill set.

Check out Oaklandwoodfloors.net, I was told they kick butt and have very reasonable prices.

If you do want to tackle it on your own though, good luck! I put in a faux hardwood floor with my Mom in her home and while it isn't the real thing, was a lot easier to install.