ancient poplar wood flooring

Old 07-23-09, 10:08 AM
ancient poplar wood flooring

under four layers of extraneous flooring, i've discovered poplar strip t&g. i would really like to refinish it but i'm having trouble with the sanding. i redid my mom's bedroom which is also poplar but not regular strip - more like random-width barnboard, very attractive. thing is, i could not, for the life of me, get it sanded to a smooth finish and had to tell her it was a "slip-proof" floor instead (hey, it worked).

i've since read that poplar gets "woolly" when sanded, which describes it perfectly.

any remedy? i'm not THAT interested in painting if i don't have to - i really like the look of the floor but the gritty feel is unpleasant to me (although nobody else seems to have an ish with it).

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-09, 03:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

I've never finished any poplar flooring but I've stained and finished quite a bit of poplar wood trim. As long as you can get the floor looking decent so it will accept the 1st coat of poly [and stain if used] you should be ok. Once the 1st coat is dry, sand and dust, repeat... Once the wood is sealed with poly, you shouldn't need to sand the wood - just the additional coats of poly until you get a smooth/slick surface.