hardwood stain mistake?!?!?!?

Old 07-26-09, 11:16 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
hardwood stain mistake?!?!?!?

I stained all of the hardwood floor in my house yesterday. The floors were sanded down plenty and cleaned thourughly. On my test pieces I never swiped off the stain (I liked the deep color I got) so I stained my whole house and layed on the stain thick, maybe too thick. I went over today (24) hours and some of the floor looks great and some of it is collecting extra stain and its super tacky and smears when touched. Some have said take mineral spitits over it so I tried that and it just isnt working out so great. The weather has beenvery humid and raining. How long should I wait before I go get the big drum sander and start all over again? sooooo frustrating... thanks for any help guys.

J

Old 07-27-09, 03:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 765 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

As you probably now know, penetrating stains aren't formulated to be applied without wiping. Generally washing/scrubbing down the stain with a thinner rag is the fix but I can't imagine doing all floors that way. The biggest problem is applying a coat of poly will rewet any stain not obsorbed by the wood, smearing it around

You will probably wind up resanding although using a buffer might be better than using the more aggressive drum sander. It will likely take more sandpaper because of the tacky stain gumming up the paper.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: