Varathane not drying

Old 08-01-09, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Varathane not drying

I am finishing new oak flooring in a closet using an old can of Varathane Professional SB900 I found in the garage. The Varathane was quite thick due to evaporation so I thinned it using mineral spirits. I thinned this further for the first 'sealer' coat and it was dry after 12 hours. Then I used the slightly more syrupy stuff for the next coat but after 24 hours the finish is still very tacky. Temps are in the 70's here with low humidity. What is the problem? Will the finsih dry eventually? BTW, this is the product I used to finish the rest of the flooring in the room some years ago. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-09, 03:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
Did it brush ok?

I suspect the main reason the 1st coat dried ok is because it was mostly obsorbed by the raw wood. IMO it would be best to buy a new can of varathane. I suppose you could add a little japan drier to the old varathane to help the next coat dry if you continue to use the old stuff.

As for the current tacky coat, it might dry in a day or two. Are you leaving the closet door open so their is plenty of ventilation? Worse case senario would be having to take a wet thinner rag and washing off what you can of the tacky finish, let dry and recoat with fresh varathane.