leveling problems

Old 08-03-09, 05:44 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question leveling problems

I installed a Bostik MVP4 Moisture Barrier membrane over my concrete slab in order to install a glue-down engineered wood floor. The moisture barrier material must have been old, as it did not spread well and dried with a whole lot of ridges and high spots. I've gotten conflicting advice about how to level the floor in order to install the wood. One expert suggested just spreading on more glue than one would normally use. Another suggested using a self-leveler on top of the membrane. Bostik says you can't do that, and said to cut out the high spots and apply more material. But there are probably 100 such spots. Anyone have experience with something like this?

Old 08-03-09, 07:47 PM
I have not had any experience with that product, but I would do exactly as Bostich says. Good Luck

Old 08-03-09, 08:29 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I know nothing about the product but here are some thoughts. If it cuts easily and you can add more to smooth it out, then carving out the high spots is the only task. My thoughts go to a draw knife, they come in all shapes, and could be used to shave off the high spots.
Draw Knife Selection offered by Traditional Woodworker

Also, how does the material respond to heat, say an iron. Dumb idea, but had to ask.

Bud

Old 08-03-09, 08:55 PM
tear it up and start over... start on one end and work your way to the other of course. and if you have a metal roller as your laying it down id roll it out

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: