Floor repair help

Old 08-04-09, 06:41 AM
Floor repair help

Hello all!

I'm working on our new condo, but the floors need some major TLC. Aside from typical 50's floor squeaks, there is a bit more deflection in areas than I would like. There is also a bit of water damage from the hot water radiator and bathroom wall. Here is the current floor, which I believe is red cedar? 1 1/4 by 3/4 strips.

The trouble is the subfloor is getting weak, and this size wood is no longer sold. On top of refinishing hassle, this is leading us to consider new floors. We're thinking engineered 1/2", since it will also cover kitchen floors, is cheaper (1.99 at LL is what we're looking at), and will be easier to install.

I pulled up the floor in the bedroom so far, and the subfloor directly under the strips is 1x4 planks on a diagonal.

There is also some water seepage extending along the exterior wall, and offcourse under the radiator:

The question is, how can I best acheive the following:
-strengthen the floor
-improve sound insulation (both STC and IIC)
-level the floor
-insulate against water

My opinion is I'll first load a bunch of screws into the plank subfloor for reinforcement, and replace any boards that are shot. Next I will fill in low spots with shingle and glue and screw down an underlayment, probably 1/2 or 3/4 TG plywood. This should stop the annoying squeaks for good. On top of that, I was considering 440 Sound Barrier by homasote, but don't know if thats is the right material, but it is within our budget. Lastly, I will roll out black felt paper (or is Rosin better?) and nail down the hardwood.

For water proofing, I'm even considering wrapping the pipes with plastic so if there are small leaks, they will go in between floors and not spread out on my subfloor. Ofcourse I will have a good old drip tray under them once all is done!

Thank you for any help and insight in advance!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-09, 07:54 AM
Ooops!!! Wrong section! But either way, do you guys concur engineered will be a better choice for the kitchen, and the troublesome moisture in the floor (don't know how bad it really gets, or if its even there, but what you see is since the original installation in 1953!)

Thanks again!

Old 08-04-09, 12:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you have to put down wood in the kitchen, engineered would be the way to go. I have had clients whose sink has leaked and gone through the cabinet and under the 3/4" oak hardwood. Buckle city! It is very difficult to correct a situation where water is present, but at least the engineered flooring is a little more forgiving. Doing your floor build up as you stated is a good start and will give good underlayment for your flooring. If you are using engineered flooring, I don't believe they recommend using tar paper or rosin paper under their products. Check your particular brand, as I believe they only want you to install their foam backer. Could be wrong, but others will chime in once they catch me. Keep us posted on it and we'll help all we can.

Old 08-04-09, 04:06 PM
Thank you! I am glad that it sounds ok. I was afraid someone will yell at me for overdoing it! Although I did read somewhere not to glue the plywood to the subfloor, since it will be a nightmare to take off later. I'm afraid they will still squeak if i don't.

The floor we're aiming to buy is made by Schon, its called Toasted Cinnamon, and its a 5/16" x 4" board, which kind of reminds me of cherry floor. However we are also considering light bamboo, which comes in 5/8" x 3 3/4". I believe its made by Supreme Bamboo. Any comments on either of these? We are primarily deciding based on which color scheme we want to go with.

Thanks again!