Repairing oak floor / final finishing oak floor

Old 08-04-09, 08:42 AM
Repairing oak floor / final finishing oak floor

Our oak floors were sanded, stained, and had two coats of semi-gloss polyurethane applied 2 years ago. They've been covered since then while other projects were completed.

Unfortunately, while moving a cast iron radiator a long gouge was put in one of the floors. In one area it goes down through all the varnish to/into/through the stain. What's the best way to repair this problem?

Fortunately, we have the original stain used on the floor, but I'm wondering what I need to do to repair the gouge. Can I just sand the varnish, restain, and put back a couple coats of the semi-gloss varnish over the gouge? Or, will I need to completely revarnish the floor?

We also need to apply the third coat of varnish over the entire wood floor - we were told by the contractor that did the initial work that the final coat should be satin rather than semi-gloss, so we've got the compatible varnish to go over the floor. Do I need to sand/scuff the varnish everywhere before putting on the final coat?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-09, 07:58 AM
Hello? (tap, tap, tap) Anybody out there?

Old 08-07-09, 09:24 PM
seems to me. that you would have to resand most or all of the floor. and refinish.

whom ever didn't use a dolly should be punched in the head.