under linoleum


Old 08-17-09, 05:23 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: WI
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
under linoleum

I have found a black felt/paper like backing under sheet linoleum it does and doesnt come with the flooring. Any idea what this is?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-09, 06:04 PM
ray2047's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 33,583
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Probably tar paper (AKA roofing felt). It use to be quite common to keep the cupped edges of the floor boards from forming ridges in real linoleum.
Old 08-17-09, 07:15 PM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 39,965
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I remember back when....a guy installed tar paper and overlapped it by 2", thinking it would give better coverage, or something. Anyway, the overlap telegraphed through his linoleum, making it totally ugly.
But that's what it was used for.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: