1 month old hickory floor already has an issue. HELP!

Old 08-21-09, 07:14 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1 month old hickory floor already has an issue. HELP!

About a month ago I installed 3.5 inch solid hickory floors. I was very pleased with the finished product, until tonight. My wife noticed there was a splinter hanging off one board ready to slide into someone's foot. I had no choice but to try to pull it up and it was a bigger issue than planned. If I pull it all the way up, it will be about 12 inches long and 1/4 inch wide in the middle. So, what do I do? Can I sand it down and put some sort of finish on it to blend it with the other boards? If it were not right at the top of the stairs, it may be different, but it is a high traffic area and going to cause problems. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-22-09, 06:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Not seeing the splinter, I can only give a generic answer or two. You could glue the splinter back down using pressure from books, brick, etc to hold it in place until it sets up. You could carefully cut the splinter and not pull it all the way up, fill the remaining gap and finishing with the original stain, etc. and polyurethane to blend it in.

Old 08-24-09, 08:46 AM
T
I wouldn't try to repair it, especially if it is in a prominent area. Just replace the damaged board. Check with the retailer where you bought the wood about filing a claim, and get some good digital photos to submit with the claim as well. Splintering would be fairly common on the edge of boards, particularly on a dense wood like hickory, but in the middle of a solid plank it is unusual. It sounds like you may actually be describing windshake, which is not acceptable in first-quality material, and most manufacturers warranties will cover the cost to replace a plank if it is indeed windshake.

Old 08-24-09, 03:00 PM
I agree with the windshake, but not sure that is what the OP has. We'll have to wait and see. I was under the impression, like you, since the edges are brittle it was an edge splinter, which is repairable, if done right.

Old 08-25-09, 12:19 PM
T
You're right Chandler. I misread the post.....
it will be about 12 inches long and 1/4 inch wide in the middle
Thought he said 12 inches long and 1/4 inch wide,Comma, in the middle...of the board. lol.

Old 08-25-09, 02:02 PM
I went back and read it again, too. Ain't funny how a comma can change the world? Take care.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: